Sunday 23 March 2014

BILINGUAL FEATURES IN UNIQLO AND GU (BY COSY)

As a regulars of UNIQLO, my eyes were captured by this headline of news-UNIQLO副品牌GU 淘寶價吸客. Surprisingly, this piece of report contains a lot of bilingual features that I would like to share with you.

First, glancing through this news (you can just have a quick look on the article and need not to focus on the content of the news: http://hk.news.yahoo.com/uniqlo%E5%89%AF%E5%93%81%E7%89%8Cgu-%E6%B7%98%E5%AF%B6%E5%83%B9%E5%90%B8%E5%AE%A2-225625221--finance.html), you will find there are Chinese words mixed with English letters. So this embodies the language mixing.

Secondly, the most frequently appeared words are UNIQLO and GU. With my increasing sense on translation, I wonder why the reporter did not do the translation for the brand names. And I think acting as a symbolic capital may be an explanation for this.

Third, when I looked into the details of the news, it is said that the brand name GU was named because of the homonyms of kyu, which has the same pronunciation of nine in Japanese, meaning a particular pricing strategy. This embodies domestication, which bilingual features are hidden.

Lastly, the above finding makes me curious about the origin of UNIQLO. So I did some research on the Internet and found that the original idea of this brand was Unique Clothing Warehouse, and UNIQLOwas the abbreviation of Unique Clothing. However, something went wrong in the business registration which people mistakenly wrote C to Q. Since then, a new word was created for the brand. From this example, we can see that new word can be invented in such a silly way.

In a nutshell, I think bilingualism, whether we pay attention to it or not, is closely related to our daily life. To be honest, I did not pretend or prepare to write the blog at this moment. It is a surprise for me that I can easily got something to share just by a simple browse. I hope all of you enjoy applying what we have learnt in this course in our daily life. Its pretty funny! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment