Monday 21 April 2014

Too much Code-mixing?! By Koka

Hong Kong is a former British colony. In daily conversation, we frequently have mixed languages, mainly Chinese and English within a sentence. It is our sociolinguistic characteristic. But have you met "unnatural code-mixing" that made you feel sick? Once I dropped by the HKGolden and discovered the Golden rangers discussing the speech style of "Kong Girl". One netizen left a comment as bellows separating the acceptable code-mixing( the upper part) and disgusting one (the lower part). Let us have a look at the example.  

I bet you must feel awful with the lower part of code mixing. Why? It is artificial and inauthentic! The tone is a problem! It makes a sense of  rudeness to others.Another problem is that the speaker intentionally incorporate  English vocabulary items into a sentence. What's the reason behind? High class? Having  a good command of English will own superior social status but unnatural code mixing not only hinders the communication, but also makes people detestable. If you do not want to be labelled "Kong Girl", you must watch your tongue.


3 comments:

  1. I feel sick too when i read the long message. I do sometimes type mixed language sentence, but definitely not as much as the level of 'Kong Girl'. I will type words in English, like 'sem', 'chur' , simply because i use them when i talk to someone. I bet that girl will not say 'do revision', 'waste my time' in normal conversation, just wonder why she typed the message like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though Putonghua is getting more important in Hong Kong, I still think English carries a higher value. I agree that some "Kong Girls" use code-mixing intentionally to show that they are more capable in language and have a higher social status.
    I also add one or two English words in a sentence in a daily conversation but I think this is influenced by our culture and it comes out naturally. I can accept a natural code-mixing but I think using code-mixing intentionally will only make people feel like they are not capable in both languages. Therefore, we should be careful about what we say since it can create our images.

    By Kourtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I hate those people who talk in such "code-mixing" way. Why don't they just simply speak in English?

    ReplyDelete