Friday 2 May 2014

Bilingualism in Pop Songs BY JOBI

Bilingualism is commonly adopted in popular songs; within this type of language mixing, the second language phrases are usually relatively short, and are often arranged in the chorus to make it more ear-catching and easy to remember. Most of the time, the predominated language will take up majority of the songs, with only a sentence, or even a word of the subordinate language.

Here are some examples:


Rihanna - Te Amo (English, Spanish) 

Then she said te amo
 then she put her hand around me waist 
I told her no, She cried te amo 
I told her I'm not gonna run away 
but let me go 
My soul is awry, without asking why 
I said te amo, wish somebody'd tell me what she said? 
Don't it mean I love you 
Think it means I love you 
Don't it mean I love you


Westlife – Soledad (English - Spanish)

Soledad 
It's a keeping for the lonely 
Since the day that you were gone 
Why did you leave me 
Soledad 
In my heart you were the only 
And your memory lives on 
Why did you leave me 
Soledad



Avril Lavigne – Hello Kitty (English - Japanese) 

Kawaii 
Hello Kitty, hello Kitty 
Hello Kitty, you're so pretty 
Hello Kitty, hello Kitty 
Hello Kitty, you're so silly



Girls’ Generation – Mr. Mr. (Korean - English) 

더 당당하게 넌 Mr. Mr. (날 봐) 
Mr. Mr. (그래 바로 너 너 너) 
날 가슴 뛰게 한 Mr. Mr. (최고의 남자) 
Mr. Mr. (그게 바로 너) 
상처로 깨진 유리조각도 별이 되는 너 Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. 
나를 빛내줄 선택 받은 자!그게 바로 너 Mr. Mr.



Apink – No No No (Korean - English)

슬퍼하지마 No No No 혼자가 아냐 No No No
언제나나나 내게 항상 빛이 돼 준 그대
내 손을 잡아요 이제 지금 다가와 기대
언제나 힘이 돼 줄게


As you can see, subordinate languages used in all these five songs are extremely short. Besides, the words chosen is very easy to follow, e.g. “te amo”, “kawaii”, “Mr. Mr.”, and “no no no”; and the chorus is basically a loop of these words. It represents the commodified and minimal bilingualism, and perhaps, impersonal bilingualism.



BY JOBI

1 comment:

  1. Nowadays, code-switching is commonly used in pop song!
    Foreign languages symbolize novelty, international and diversity
    The readership of pop songs is teenagers who always pursue trendy and fashion.
    Therefore, using code-switching bring a sense of identity to teenagers.
    Dollars

    ReplyDelete