Thursday 20 February 2014

Language-mixing songs by Ceci Tsoi


Language mixing is very popular in song no matter what language it used nowadays. English is being more and more popular in different Asia songs especially Kpop.

Here is two example of mixing Korean and English.

 


 

This is “Gee” from Girls’ Generation. We can find that there are plenty of English words used in the song. For example, they use English as their chorus “Gee Gee Gee Gee Baby Baby Baby,Gee Gee Gee Gee Baby Baby Baby”. And also the intro

“Listen Boy My First Love Story
My Angel & My Girl
My Sunshine
Oh! Oh! let's go!“

 

The reason why they use English in the song is that people can be more easily to remember the lyrics. English is an international language but Korean is not. Using some English in the song can help people who don’t know Korean to memorize it and it’s really useful for the promotion.

Also, using some English can also “upgrade” the song and artist because people who know different language is always seen as intellectual or talented. So, there are many English word in different song.

 


 

This is ”Ugly” from 2NE1. The whole chorus of “Ugly” is using English but the else is Korean. It’s also a kind of language mixing. Using English for the whole chorus can help understanding the song and to raise the popularity significantly.

 

I think I’m ugly

And nobody wants to love me

Just like her I wanna be pretty

I wanna be pretty

Don’t lie to my face tellin’ me I’m pretty

 

I think I’m ugly

And nobody wants to love me   

Just like her I wanna be pretty

I wanna be pretty

Don’t lie to my face cuz I know

I’m ugly”

 

Here are also some examples of language mixing songs.
Mandarin x English : 曹格-數到五答應我

 

 
 

Chorus:

Wanna be your lover I wanna be your man 我只要妳開心多一點

Can you be my lover Don't wanna be your friend 給妳幸福的永遠


Cantonese x English : 方皓玟 I wanna be strong

 


 

Chorus:

I Wanna Be Strong 找一個寧靜地方

我是張不妥協的單人床 從來流浪碰撞

 

I Wanna Be Strong 一早知道流淚難乾

幻想好好珍藏 什麼煙花可留戀星光

(什麼煙花都也不想看)

 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your point on the impact English imposes on promotion. Perhaps we can further deduce English helps to explore new market due to its universality. Also, English sometimes functions to highlight the main or important message of songs as it stands out from the langauages they mainly use which could raise interest of foreign markets. Language is a great tool for business.

    BY Marcella

    ReplyDelete