Friday 28 February 2014

English Name of the Chinese (By Cosy Lau)

Recently I read an online article about the Chinese having an English name. It gives some very good points and I want to share some of them with you.
To begin, I think almost all of you have your own English name. Then I want to ask two questions: when did you have it? Why did you decide to have it?
Some of you may say: It is easier for people to remember me; some may also say teachers asked us to have one for the English class since primary school. To me, I think the Chinese get an English name also because they will feel a bit superior, and this fits what we have learnt- name is an example of symbolic capital.
However, the words the Chinese chose to be their English name really affects how the Westerns see the Chinese. Here are the six ways that the Chinese used to choose their own English names:
1.     The words that are not supposed to be names in English.
     Eg. Apple (蘋果), Sunny (陽光普照的), Season (四季) etc..
The Westerns will probably laugh at us if we have these kinds of English names.
2.     The first name of the Westerns.
Eg. Edison (愛迪生), Lincoln (林肯), Miller (米勒) etc..
The Westerns would not use the first name to be their English name, but as a short form of their whole name.
3.     Make a new word.
Eg. Eason instead of Ethan; Kady instead of Katie.
The Westerns may find them strange.
4.     Name that do not fit with people’s age.
Eg. Brian, Stanley, Gill, Doris etc..
These are names that the British used in the older generations.
5.     Name that is low-class.
Eg. Candy, Cherry, Brandy etc..
In most of the English-speaking countries, these are the names of prostitutes.
6.     Name that is not oriented from English-speaking countries/ God’s name from the Greek or Roman.
Eg. Zeus (宙斯), Hermann (赫曼/德國人名), Mario (馬利歐/意大利人名)
People will think these names are a bit arrogant.
Are you surprised by the views of the Westerns? I think here comes an interesting point that the Chinese want to get their English names because they may feel a bit superior; the Westerns, however, may have a totally different feelings about these “English names”. But on the other hand, these “English names” can also be categorized as the unique culture of Hong Kong. Do you have any new ideas about the English names of Chinese people? Just feel free to leave comments!

Last but not least, I would like to show you an interesting video. Enjoy!



Reference:
http://www.ettoday.net/news/20120604/52748.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3U5u3D2L9Q




2 comments:

  1. Cosy, Thanks for your sharing! You're right! Western people usually laugh at our weird English name! For me, my name Dollars is laughed by everyone! haha. The reason for me to pick this name is because of my Chinese name 美緣. haha! I had my own English name since I was an university student! The reason for me to pick an English name is that it was obligatory for an university student to have one instead of a sense of superior.

    However, English name, it is an unique culture for Hong Kong. A lot of students from Mainland is really surprised that all of us have English name. They will never have "English name" for themselves! After coming to Hong Kong, they do feel like it is obligatory to have an English name!

    Thanks for your sharing again! I do appreciate this unique culture in Hong Kong!

    Dollars

    ReplyDelete
  2. My English name is Koka which is from my first two characters of my Chinese name高嘉. I make this English name official staring at university. In the time of secondary school, my friends have already called me 高嘉. My original name is Kathleen with the meaning of purity so I like it very much. This name being called will be only in the class or at work as it sounds more formal. I want to make others remember easily, so I adopt the Chinese name-Koka. No matter Koka or Kathleen, I like both of them as they represent me.^^

    ReplyDelete